Although things like Wikipedia and Amazon Mechanical Turk have been around since the early to mid-2000's, I feel like "crowdsourcing" has kind of become a buzzword in the past five years, for better or for worse. Crowdsourcing projects are more numerous that I realized, once I stopped to think about those I could name. I'd argue that Apple deciding to open up their app store to independent developers is a form of crowdsourcing - it definitely gives smart phone app consumers more choice and quality. And then there are even more practical uses for crowdsourcing, like calling for volunteers to comb through images to find the missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370 or SETI's crowdsourced search for extraterrestrial life.
Now, it's almost expected that any friend who is working on a new film, potato salad recipe, or any other kind of project will blast on social media, "Please donate to my Kickstarter!" There are a lot of Youtube videos and even some feature films that celebrate the ability to join many geographically discontiguous Internet users together in new ways, like Nat Geo's Life in a Day time capsule documentary, The Johnny Cash Project website, the virtual choir, Tiffany Shlain's Let it Ripple series that we read about, etc. I hate to say it, but it's getting to the point where it is almost gimmicky - sometimes these projects just become virtual noise, featured on Youtube's homepage, blasted on Facebook, or (if they are really past their prime) featured on Good Morning America for a day and then gone from the collective Internet meme radar forever. Companies are even crowdsourcing their advertising with Instagram picture hashtag contests that encourage users to post their own pictures of their products.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying these ideas aren't cool or unique or worthy, just that there are a lot of them. I wonder if crowdsourcing as an art form is really here to stay, like Tiffany Shlain says, or if it is just a fad. Even for the more practical applications, it is still questionable. Will Wikipedia exist forever? It requires constant upkeep. It makes me wonder what the "next big thing" in digital technology workflow will be.
Now, it's almost expected that any friend who is working on a new film, potato salad recipe, or any other kind of project will blast on social media, "Please donate to my Kickstarter!" There are a lot of Youtube videos and even some feature films that celebrate the ability to join many geographically discontiguous Internet users together in new ways, like Nat Geo's Life in a Day time capsule documentary, The Johnny Cash Project website, the virtual choir, Tiffany Shlain's Let it Ripple series that we read about, etc. I hate to say it, but it's getting to the point where it is almost gimmicky - sometimes these projects just become virtual noise, featured on Youtube's homepage, blasted on Facebook, or (if they are really past their prime) featured on Good Morning America for a day and then gone from the collective Internet meme radar forever. Companies are even crowdsourcing their advertising with Instagram picture hashtag contests that encourage users to post their own pictures of their products.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying these ideas aren't cool or unique or worthy, just that there are a lot of them. I wonder if crowdsourcing as an art form is really here to stay, like Tiffany Shlain says, or if it is just a fad. Even for the more practical applications, it is still questionable. Will Wikipedia exist forever? It requires constant upkeep. It makes me wonder what the "next big thing" in digital technology workflow will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment