Tuesday, December 9, 2014

R1: Synesthesia Responses

I've always found synesthesia fascinating since I first figured out it existed when I was in middle school.  It is bizarre that some people have another sense - or maybe just an enhanced one - that makes them see the world completely differently.  So listening to Daniel Tammet speak is cool and fascinating, don't get me wrong - I just feel like I am missing out on his though process.  To him, these little details and perceptions are integral.  To me, his connections are a bit alien.  At least cymatics, if weird, is a bit easier to visualize.

I have at least one friend who I know has synesthesia - chromesthesia, actually - and another experiences ASMR.  I like talking to them about the connections they form because this thing that shapes their life is completely absent in mine.  For example, my friend with chromesthesia is a musician, and he loves to surround himself with anything orange because that is the color he sees when he plays his favorite chord.  It's amazing that a mind can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment